How to find the COM port for USB to Serial for PuTTY
This guide will teach you how to identify the COM port for USB to Serial for PuTTY.
Sometimes you need to find the COM port for USB to Serial for PuTTY to connect to a network device, like a firewall switch, et cetera. When connecting to these devices, you typically use PuTTY. PuTTY looks for what COM port to use when selecting the Serial under Connection Type under the basic options for your PuTTY session. Furthermore, to identify what COM port for the USB to serial connection you will need to follow the steps below.
You can Download PuTTY here: PuTTY: (latest release)
Let’s get started on identifying your COM port!
1) Open Putty, and under “Connection type:” select the “Serial”
2) Next, you’ll open” Windows Device Manager”, press Windows Key, or Start Button and type in “devmgmt.msc” then press “Enter”
3) From the “Device Manager” window, find and locate the list item labeled “Ports (COM & LPT)” and expand the dropdown list
4) Find the USB Serial Port in the prentices. Next, you will find the COM port number you need to select. In this, it is COM3.
5) Next we will return to Putty and enter COM3 as our serial communication port now
6) At this point, you can Proceed to click open. Once the terminal is open, remember you may need to press enter twice to pull up the prompts to log in.
USB to Serial COM Port Identification Guide Conclusion:
That’s it! Now you know how to find the COM port for a USB to Serial connection and connect via Putty to a Networking Device like a Palo Alto.
If you require additional support or just need some help figuring this all out and getting things connected. We can assist you with network connectivity support & consulting for all of your networking hardware. We provision network switches, gateways, routers, firewall and Wireless Access Points. Enterprise solutions for Small to Enterprise businesses. Contact TECHIT SERVICES, our staff can be reached at (619)764-6150. Give us a call, one of our friendly representatives will be waiting to answer the phone, and we schedule consultant to discuss your project needs with you.