How to find the COM port for USB to Serial for PuTTY
This guide will teach you how to identify the COM port for USB to Serial for PuTTY.
Sometimes you need to find the COM port for USB to Serial for PuTTY to connect to a network device, like a firewall switch, et cetera. When connecting to these devices, you typically use PuTTY. PuTTY looks for what COM port to use when selecting the Serial under Connection Type under the basic options for your PuTTY session. Furthermore, to identify what COM port for the USB to serial connection you will need to follow the steps below.
Let’s get started on identifying your COM port!
1) Open Putty, and under “Connection type,” select “Serial.”
2) Next, you’ll open” Windows Device Manager,” press the Windows Key or Start Button and type in “devmgmt. msc,” then press “Enter.”
3) From the “Device Manager” window, find and locate the list item labeled “Ports (COM & LPT)” and expand the drop-down list.
4) Find the USB serial port in the devices. Next, you will find the COM port number you need to select. In this, it is COM3.
5) Next, we will return to Putty and enter COM3 as our serial communication port; now
6) At this point, you can proceed to click open. Once the terminal is open, remember that you may need to press enter twice to pull up the prompts to log in.
USB-to-Seria COM Port Identification Guide Conclusion:
That’s it! Now you know how to find the COM port for a USB-to-Serial connection and connect via Putty to a networking device like a Palo Alto.
Suppose you require additional support or need some help figuring this all out and getting things connected. We can assist you with network connectivity support & consulting for all of your networking hardware. We provision network switches, gateways, routers, firewalls and wireless access Points. Enterprise solutions for small to enterprise businesses. Contact TECHIT SERVICES, our staff can be reached at (619)764-6150. Give us a call; one of our friendly representatives will be waiting to answer the phone, and we will schedule a consultant to discuss your project needs with you.